Sunday, October 3, 2010

Back To It

Booked a winner of significance last night. Who would have thought it would take me such a long time to put the losers behind me? I didn't, but atleast I am feeling more confident and have stopped losing flips...for now!

Last nights session was duality in practice. I started by playing the smaller game, and played a pretty aggressive game. I went with my reads and was rewarded for it, instead of punished as it has been of late. One of the more interesting spots I got into was actually one of the spots that everything played out perfectly.

1-2 NL: UTG+2 opens for 9. This was not an unusual thing for him as he was opening almost his entire range regardless of position. I happened to be directly on his left, which aside from his offensive habit of coughing/sneezing into his hands and then touching cards for me to plainly see, was a good thing. I look down at 10 10, and elect to flat him because he has shown a propensity to basically shove or just barrel his face off on almost any board. A younger, solid player 3-bets to $30 and UTG+2 and I both call.

The flop is Jh 6h 7s. UTG+2 open shoves for about $50, and I have a decision to make. I think my hand might be a bit too strong to fold in this spot for a half pot bet, but the alternative of calling isn't exactly appealing to me either, mainly because it allows the preflop 3-bettor to play nearly perfectly against my hand. I elect to raise for 2 reasons. First, it stops the preflop 3-bettor from making a play at me with a hand I have beat, like 99, 88, or AK. Second, I believe that the raise makes my hand look HUGE. Popping the original raiser before action has a chance to get back to the 3-bettor screams strength in my opinion and I was banking on the fact that the kid was a good enough hand reader to see it the same way that I did and muck an overpair if he did in fact have one. I raised to $175, and the kid tanked for a long time, then finally mucked his hand. When I turned my hand over the kid looked absolutely sick, and his friend later told me that the kid had kings. UTG+2 shows rags and I scooped the pot. It was a pretty interesting spot I think, and it somewhat shows how easily some of the players, even the better ones, can be exploited.

The 2-4 game went last night, and that game was purely about discipline. There was a maniac at the table in the classic sense of the word. He opened 90% of pots and was always coming in for HUGE raises. 3 limps to him, he opens for $50. EVERYTIME!!!! It was a total cream dream, but I had a lot of difficulty trying to find spots to get in against him. I played pretty lockdown tight, but eventually was rewarded by bushwacking a few people who were too focused on the action player and not taking the other people at the table into account.

As it were the night ended pretty profitably so I can't really complain about anything. Heading back out to play tonight, and Reno is on Thursday. Time to buckle up and get this thing in gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment